Thursday, February 5, 2009

Washington's Quill Pen

We discussed Washington's first Inaugural Address to the Congress and the kids learned that people wrote with quill pens during Colonial times. We made our own quill pens and we tried to learn to write with them. There is certainly an art to writing in pre-20th century times.
Levi liked the store bought plastic quill pen better than the feather.
Jerry preferred to draw so I strongly suggested that he should at least write his name.
Charlotte did surprisingly well for a 4 year old. She wrote some of her letters and drew a picture. I think she is a lefty.

2 comments:

Brandy said...

That is a cool project!

Brandy said...

Tonya, I don't know if you noticed or not, but the binkie in Kaylee's mouth in the picture on our blog is the one you gave us in Oregon. You put 2 of them in the bag of baby gifts. They are AWESOME! Usually we use the Avent ones, and I even bought a couple of packs of those and started her on them. But we lost one, so I pulled out the pink one and she liked it! She isn't too picky, she'll pretty much use any binkie, but I like the pink ones because they are easy to find! Thanks!!