Friday, January 9, 2009

Tonya's Midget Tamales

Here is my first attempt at making tamales. I didn't think it would be too hard, but as usual I was wrong. There are many steps and it's very time consuming to wrap them. I think the size was a little off so I'll call them my Midget Tamales. The taste test resulted in requests from the kids to make them every week. Levi, who is a very picky eater, wouldn't stop eating them. Well, I've almost resolved to make them monthly, maybe.
Not pretty, but yummy!

3 comments:

Brandy said...

Tonya, did you use a pressure cooker for those, or did you steam them? We don't have a pressure cooker, but I've always wanted to make them! I even bought some masa and husks a couple of years ago, then forgot. I like the midget ones! They look like perfect little appetizers, and the fact that the kids liked them...I may still have to try to make some.

Tonya N said...

I steamed them using my pasta insert to my largest pot. Jerry got me this book called the "Idiot's Guide to Mexican Food" and it has detailed instructions. Set aside a good part of the day to do it. I don't usually like cooking things with lots of steps, but the fact that the kids liked them is swaying me.

Brandy said...

Awesome! I have a pasta insert too, I'll definitely have to try these! Thanks!